Friday, October 3, 2008

I always wished I could be one of "those" Moms. You know, the kind that drops her kids off at school, knowing they'll be there when you pick them up, alive and well. After years of being scared, not sending my girls to public school for fear of what might happen because of their diabetes, my fears came true.
Phone rings:
Me: Hello?
Nurse: Hi, I made a big, big mistake
(My stomach hurls to my throat}
Nurse: I gave Cerriah 23 units of insulin by mistake instead of 2 (talk about an increase!!)
Me: Oh my Goodness, I'll be there in 2 minutes to pick her up and take her to the ER!Silence........... What am I thinking! It'll take 20 to get her to a hospital and it'll be too late by then, insulin starts acting in 15. Side affect of too much insulin?? Death...
Me: No, please call and ambulance I'll be there in 2.
When we get to the ER, I am greeted by paramedics and an incompetent Doctor, who doesn't know the first thing about Diabetes, not even what an insulin pump is....Cerriah made it, she's a strong girl. After being pumped with glucose and tons of sugary foods, she walked out of that hospital.
But I ask, when is too much, too much? She has cheated death many times, but this hit home... When can she/I stop worrying? When can I become one of "those" moms???? As I sit and think, there is only one answer........when she is cured of this awful disease that rips not only her mind and body, but mine as well.It's perfect timing that we are doing "Walk for a Cure". Now when I walk, I will have this fresh in my mind.
Won't you consider sponsoring her? Even one dollar will mean the world to her......... and to me.http://walk.jdrf.org/
Her name: Cerriah
Team Name: Dreams Come True

1 comment:

Never forgetting Gregory said...

GINA! I'm so glad you started a blog. Yay for that. NOT yay for the crazy nurse and doctor. You are an amazing mom although, you are right, you'll never be able to stop worrying about your girls. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this every single day but what you said the other day made a lot of sense...Thank GOD they have you for a mom and not someone who wouldn't take care of them. Your girls are happy and healthy because you are amazing.