Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Battery operated!!



Elijah came to me yesterday and announced he had just swallowed a magnet. Of course I was panicked and when he showed me the remaining of the "magnets", I was even more panicked! It wasn't a magnet at all, it was a battery! He said he was cleaning them since they wouldn't stick together (of course) and it got slippery and he swallowed it. I took him straight to the ER.

At the ER they took an xray and called poison control. We were told that if it wasn't in his esophagus, they would just let it "pass". It was in his stomach, so we headed home.

Once we get home I get a call from the hospital telling us that the GI surgeon said he needed it removed by surgery and told us we had to go to a different hospital because they didn't do peds there. So we headed to the other ER to get more xray's and many, many opinions...... all different I might add!!

The one who would actually do the surgery was of course the last say. He said to wait 24 hours to see if it would pass into his colon before considering surgery. Surgery had a bigger risk than just letting nature take it's course. If it was still in his stomach they would do surgery right away.

We went back in today and thank God it was in his colon! Now I have the lovely task of checking stool for the next 24 hours. If it still hasn't passed then he will have a more invasive surgery on his bowels. Please pray that it passes quickly!!!


On a side note he has been saying some funny things. When he was shown the xray of his belly he announced
"I thought it was in my legs because they are feeling really energized."
"Mommy I can run faster now, so I bet it made it's way to my legs."
"Mommy, is it still in my gis-test-ins?"

2 comments:

Never forgetting Gregory said...

Oh these are the moments I have to look forward to! That must have been so scary but I know we will all be laughing about this years down the road and you will be telling his future girlfriends the lovely details!

Verna said...

Oh my God, How scary is that. And the fact that you have to watch and examine all stools, yuk. BUT will pray that he passes it soon with no complications.